Milipol is bringing out some of the latest firearms released to be showcased for defense forces around the globe. FN Herstal is on hand to exhibit their wide range of small arms including their new Minimi Mk3 Light Machine Guns chambered in 5.56mm and 7.62mm. Of particular note is the capability to utilize a conversion kit to allow the 7.62 model to fire 5.56x45 ammunition. As with previous models, there will be several variants for each new version. We have provided the full release below.
|FN MINIMI 7.62 Mk3|
Belgium-based small arms manufacturer FN Herstal unveils the next generation FN MINIMI® Light Machine Gun in both 5.56mm and 7.62mm calibers during the MILIPOL exhibition in Paris (19 to 22 November 2013).
The modifications introduced on the FN MINIMI® Mk3 result from feedback provided by users engaged in current operating theatres. Indeed, the demands of users have evolved over the past 10 to 15 years due to changes in the way the FN MINIMI® machine gun is used in combat (increased use of accessories, evolution in the soldier’s equipment, and changes in tactics such as shooting from all positions).
|FN Minimi 5.56 MK3|
FN MINIMI® 5.56 Mk3 Tactical SB Machine Gun, seen here with optional accessories including heatshield.
The new FN MINIMI® Mk3 offers the users improved ergonomics and improved mobility while retaining the same core mechanism as the previous versions, for a limited impact on logistics.
Main changes are:
- An ergonomic buttstock adjustable in length (5 positions) to allow compensation for body armor and load bearing equipment. The buttstock is adjustable for cheek rest height as well. The user can have his eye correctly aligned with the iron sights, or optical sights, while keeping his cheek properly positioned on the buttstock. It also integrates a folding shoulder rest and a hydraulic buffer that stabilizes the rate of fire and reduces felt recoil.
- A new handguard/bipod assembly that provides a comfortable handguard and three forward MIL-STD 1913 Picatinny® accessory rails. The adjustable-height (3 positions) bipod, when folded back, integrates into the shape of the handguard even with an accessory on the lower rail.
- An ergonomically-shaped cocking handle that gives the user a better grip with the strong or weak hand.
- An improved feed tray with belt retaining pawls that hold the belt correctly in position during the loading procedure, which is most useful when the user is in the standing position.
- An optional heatshield that greatly reduces the risk of inadvertently touching the barrel.
- The convertibility of the FN MINIMI® 7.62 to fire 5.56x45mm ammunition.
Customers with 5.56mm or 7.62mm FN MINIMI® machine guns already in service are not left behind. FN Herstal offers them a customized upgrade program to upgrade partially or completely their weapons: adapted to their exact needs and easily carried out by the armorer on site using the supporting documentation provided with the conversion kits.
FN Herstal’s technical experts are also available to help the customer make the right choice among the various conversion kits or accompany him during the converting operations.
The new FN MINIMI® Mk3 machine gun in 5.56mm and 7.62mm calibers, as well as the various conversion kits, will be on show on FN Herstal’s booth during the MILIPOL exhibition in Paris (Belgian Pavilion, hall 5, booth no. M217).